Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Natives, Locals, and “Others”

Ursula Heise emphasizes the importance of being familiar with one’s local environment and reconnecting to local places in an attempt to defy the sense of alienation from nature generated by the modern way of living. The sense of estrangement from one's surrounding feeds this alienation and the ability to connect not only to the local environment, but to the ecological systems in which humans’ actions and decisions are both affected by the environment and affect the surroundings. Heise values the vision of global ecology that manifests itself in the “willingness to emerge physically and psychologically with the environment so as to communicate with it,” a notion that parallels Osden’s experience in “Vaster than Empires.” Osden became part of the environment he intended to study and finally understood the “underlying planetary connectedness” of the ecosystem (18).

This merging of the individual with the surroundings is echoed in bell hooks’ “Touching the Earth,” in which she suggests that the struggle of African Americans stems from their distance from the land. For hooks, restoring this relationship with the land facilities the African American self-recovery from the white man’s racism. Since there is a correlation between environmental matters and different forms of oppression, hooks believes that the farther African Americans are from nature, the more racism and oppression they face. The bond that African Americans and Native Americans have with the land goes beyond the boundaries of the physical to establish a kind of camaraderie with natural elements. hooks quotes Chief Seattle’s reflection on this bond:



“We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters; the deer, the horse, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the juices in the meadows, the body heat of the pony, and man— all belong to the same family” (105).

Unlike the Native Americans and African Americans, the white man (the representative of industrial capitalism) doesn’t understand the connection and the “infusion” that the natives have with the land. The surrounding natural elements are far from being the white man’s brothers and sisters, and his pragmatic perception of the land blinds him from appreciating the underlying planetary connectedness. In a sense, the white man’s sense of superiority makes him feel entitled to disrupt the ecological harmony.



hooks suggests that the African American internalization of white racist assumptions are caused by the estrangement from the land and their migration from the south, where the connection to the land is deep, to the industrialized north, where the white man controls the land and the mind/body split takes place. And because of this mind/body split that the African American experienced, their bodies were abused. She writes, “Living close to nature, black folks were able to cultivate a spirit of wonder and reverence for life. Growing food to sustain life and flowers to please the soul, they were able to make a connection with the earth that was ongoing and life-affirming” (105). This realization led her to start her own garden so as to feel connected to her ancestors who were self-sufficient, “work[ing] with the body to feed the body” (107). Renewing her connection to nature allows hooks to experience and preserve her racial identity and appreciate the historic relationship that her ancestors had with the land.

In Storyteller, Leslie Silko suggests that the white man and the natives perceive the land differently. The narrator describes the unsuccessful attempts of white men (the Gussucks) to penetrate the ice with their heavy machinery and their helplessness in confronting the spirit of Native Americans represented by the land and the people. Silko crafts a harmonious relationship between the land and the people, a relationship the white man doesn’t understand. Unlike the white man, the native is one with the land. Silko emphasizes the “boundaryless” relationship between all natural elements including the physical bodies of natives:



“The tundra rose up behind the rover but all boundaries between the river and hills and sky were lost in the destiny of the pale ice” (18).

And

“The wolf pelts were creamy colored and silver, almost white in some places, and when the old lady had walked across the tundra in the winter, she was invisible in the snow” (21).

Going along with Heise’s global vision that embraces a “complex formal framework able to accommodate social and cultural multiplicity,” (20) the white man and the native can live together in nature harmoniously if the white man abandons his industrial, colonial agenda and becomes, like the Native American, just another element of nature. Momaday reiterates the same theme in “A First American Views His Land.” In his racial memory, Momaday secures the land and celebrates the sacred trust he and his ancestors have with it. The relationship that Native Americans have with the land encompasses both the spiritual and the moral dimensions. For him, language and imagination derive from the land and remain faithful to it.

11 comments:

  1. For some reason, I sometimes get tired of being demonized and feel completely alienated and ambivalent about narratives where middle-class, white, males got together at the beginning of civilization and held a secret council where they dedicated themselves to world domination and have been consciously attempting to lord it over everybody ever since.

    In my less sardonic moments, I find the rhetoric that produces this inevitable alienation troubling. I think it has to do with the fact that the rhetoric that seeks to win political wars is extremely unsuited to winning over hearts and minds. As a white, middle-class, male I am given no subjectivity in such discourses except as the evil villain or as an impostor or intruder speaking of things from subject positions I cannot know. As long as the systematic dominant position is labeled white, middle-class, and male rather than a position that has, as an accident of systemic social development, been held, and certainly abused and actively retained, by white, middle-class, men (a small change in words a huge change in rhetoric and tone) I can only read and think about such things from a distance. I have no place at that table (unless I want to defend the dominant subject position, which I most certainly don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can only read and think about such things from a distance. I have no place at that table (unless I want to defend the dominant subject position, which I most certainly don't.)"

    jwhick,

    This is only true if you refuse to empathize with such discourses. Part of considering a global perspective like Hiese discusses requires one to open-up to other perspectives. You could certainly participate in discourses like the ones discussed above if you make a sincere attempt to understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't completely disagree with Lana's post, but I'm curious what is behind it. But I think the use of "white man" at this stage of our society is a bit trite. The global culture has become far too complex to lump "whites" together. Although we are all human, unless Spaceship Earth has picked up some shape-shifting passengers, we have become increasingly compartmentalized, even down to the small group of friends one has.
    However, in this entire post, I'm curious where Lana is--I don't have a sense of her here, so I'm curious of her response....

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This is only true if you refuse to empathize with such discourses. Part of considering a global perspective like Hiese discusses requires one to open-up to other perspectives. You could certainly participate in discourses like the ones discussed above if you make a sincere attempt to understand them."

    Understanding isn't the problem, and neither is empathy. I do understand and even empathize (Of course, the current conversation doesn't allow that I can possibly empathize, only sympathize because any experiences I might have that could allow for empathy don't really count because I am a middle-class, white, European-American male.), but the discourse is framed in a way that continually demonizes me for rhetorical effect. Again, that's great for a political/legal fight, but it alienates and silences me. No amount of empathy will change that, only a change in the rhetoric to allow for subject positions that people from traditionally dominant demographics can speak from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came to this conversation late, but here is a take on it, for what it is worth. The rhetoric that bell hooks employs is somewhat alienating to me, like it is to John. I cannot help but read things like this and feel as though I am being denied access somewhat to a conversation, as though I am incapable of understanding and sympathizing with oppressed cultures. Nonetheless, when I consider that I am feeling this way momentarily, whereas African and Native Americans probably wake up feeling this way everyday, not just in the sense that the rhetoric is against them but possibly their bosses, landlords, co-wrokers, senators, etc..., than I wonder if my small feelings of alienation are not to some small degree deserved. I agree with MLK that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere, white-middle-class-male or no; so, I have a right to object to being marginalized for being non-marginal. However, if I am being truly sympathetic, I feel as though I must forgive some unfair rhetoric until it becomes more clear to me that dominant oppressive forces have not been the product of some groups of racist and rapacious white middle-class males. I am surely not convinced of this yet. However, one could also argue that we will not reach such egalitarianism until all sides employ a rhetoric that promotes and acknowledges equality and that gives everyone access. "Othering" of any type is counterproductive, but I think that us white middle-class males need to come to the table with a sense of ownership for what our "tradition" has propagated, good and bad, and work for that equality through dialogue, which I sincerely hope is what people like bell hooks are working for. I don't want to put words in people's mouths, but I think this may be similar to what John is saying, and if so, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric,

    We're pretty close, and I recognize that alienation is something felt much more often and more seriously by marginalized groups, but that still doesn't help me want to sit at a table while the demographic I belong to is continually bashed as a priori rapists, bigots, polluters, etc., etc. If there has been a bad mentality towards anyone or anything, it must be because it is a white male mentality rather than a human one.

    I also don't feel there is any reason for me to take ownership of things I had no control over. I can look at things I do that might perpetuate the system and take ownership of that. I can work to change the system, whether I have to do that on my own in my own way or if I am welcomed to the table by a different rhetoric. But, I have no responsibility to own the nature of social systems. I inherited them just like everybody else, and I have found myself silenced and marginalized by them on many occasions (believe it or not).

    This is actually something I've been thinking about for the past year, and a presentation/paper in the works. I also think that this is an issue that is pertinent to our readings for the coming week when we look at "Ecospeak"

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a tough nut, but I have to say that I don't see much of the rhetoric you decry, John, in our readings, not even in hooks who is well-known for referring to our current race relations as "white supremacy."

    Where is this whitey is bad is to blame stuff you are reacting to?

    I think we all have some responsibility for the nature of social systems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lana wrote:
    "Ursula Heise emphasizes the importance of being familiar with one’s local environment and reconnecting to local places in an attempt to defy the sense of alienation from nature generated by the modern way of living."

    She does? I thought she was trying to steer us away from emphasis on local environment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you reference the Gussucks from Silko's essay. That idea of them being forceful, yet unsuccessful in breaking the ice resonates with me. Knowing manipulation doesn't always work out next to knowing how environment systems and species work.

    Other things seem forceful, yet unsuccessful about this discussion board. Why all the defense? Stereotypes don't matter when you know what actions you make. Some are ignorant enough to be swayed by them and I see the concern, but many others don't fall prey to them; those views warrant our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Albert,

    I was responding to this quote in Lana's post:

    "the white man and the native can live together in nature harmoniously if the white man abandons his industrial, colonial agenda and becomes, like the Native American, just another element of nature. Momaday reiterates the same theme in “A First American Views His Land.”"

    Lana,like me, apparently noted how the "evil" view of land in these texts was coded as white and male as apposed to Native American or African American. hooks definitely attacks alienation from the land as originating with "the white man." I can't recall any of these texts that didn't refer to the nature hating industrial mentality as at least a white mentality if not a white male one.

    ReplyDelete